This recipe originating from Malay-Chinese cuisine was sent in by Mei Lee, thank you!
Throwing a party and no clue what to serve up? This is the perfect one for casual hangouts or dinner parties with a little spark. This fun recipe will surely excite your friends and family. Maybe a good occasion to raise awareness on the benefits of the Hive and insect farming in general?
Recipe serving 4 people (consumed as a snack)
150 g of frozen mealworms
1 teaspoon corn flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
green pepper, red pepper, pineapple
zucchinis and tomatoes finely chopped (as preferred)
1. Marinade mealworms with marinating ingredients and leave in fridge for 30 mins.
2. After taking out from fridge, coat mealworms generously with cornflour until fully coated.
3. Heat some oil in frying pan and deep fry the mealworms until the coating is light brown. Set aside.
4. For the sauce, fry the chopped garlic until aromatic, then add in the chopped peppers/zucchini/pineapple/tomato.
5. Then add the sugar, vinegar and tomato sauce. Stir and mix well.
6. Add in salt and sugar according to taste.
7. Add in the deep fried mealworms and coat evenly with the sauce.
8. Now, your sweet & sour mealies dish is ready for serving