Our Mealworms salad featured on a TV show
It was so much fun presenting our Hive™ on Al Jazeera + and cooking up some MicroFoods™ together with reporter Su-Min. At Livin Farms, we are all really happy to see so much enthusiasm around eating insects and seeing more and more embark on this journey with us to start a food revolution out of our homes!
Mealworms salad (2 servings)
The whole point of the Hive and what we do at Livin Farms is for our community to get comfortable not only growing but most of all preparing mealworms as a staple food at home. We chose mealworms as our favorite insect to grow in our first tabletop farm, because they are so versatile when it comes to fitting into our cuisines. That´s why I wanted to show the simplicity of cooking mealworms and chose a recipe very simple but original. It is tasty, nutritious and light, which makes it perfect for summer. The slightly nutty taste of the mealworms and their crispiness when roasted make it an ideal addition to the chickpea mix.
Texture is important to make things taste interesting and pleasant- this recipe is a mix between crunchy and crispy texture (mealworms) and a smooth and creamy feeling (feta and avocados) in your mouth. Finally, some coriander, onions and lime juice to spice up everything!
This salad is high in protein, fibre and minerals thanks to the chickpeas and the mealworms. The feta cheese, the mealworms, olive oil and avocado give it a large variety of fatty acids.
INGREDIENTS for 2 serves of mealworms salad:
- 1/2 onions (chopped)
- 2 avocados (chopped)
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup coriander (chopped)
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup frozen mealworms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Boil mealworms for a few minutes until soft
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped onions, avocados, feta cheese, coriander, chickpeas, olive oil and lime juice.
- Rinse boiled mealworms thoroughly with fresh water and roast without any oil. Add salt to taste while they are still moist.
- Mix mealworms with salad.
- Serve as long as the mealworms are still hot.
I hope you will love this mealworms salad as much as my guests did!